About Me

Blog Archive

Friday, March 27, 2009

It may not be dead

I was thinking the other day and discovered that square dancing, with a little work could really be cool. The biggest complaint I ever heard about it is that people don't enjoy the clothing. The first thing I hear from women is," I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a hoop skirt." A man will typically say, " the music is horrible." Those are the only two things that you hear about usually. What if square dancing was turned into a fashion event and the music was better? There is much hope for this old past time. It is very much part of American dance history. This was a way that people used to socialize. Why did everyone give up so fast  on it? They could have recreated it with the times. I used to love watching it, when I was a kid. The dancers always looked so happy. It was obviously something that stimulated thought. I have to agree that the clothing was a little ancient, but it wasn't too horribly bad. It used to make me feel warm inside when we would go to the dance hall on saturday. There was a part of me that really enjoyed see it. I always wanted to do it but the clothing kind of scared me too. It seemed a little weird to wear a towel bar on your pants. Poker was brought back from the dead. Could you possibly do square dancing to hip-hop? I hope that someone is brave enough to rework it
and make it fashionable. It may not be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment