About Me

Blog Archive

Friday, April 3, 2009

An odd sight on Guadalupe St.

The other day I was standing with my sign at twenty- fourth and Guadalupe and I saw something I'd never seen before. This may have been the saddest sight I've ever seen. I saw three police motorcycles block Guadalupe. "Is this a parade?" I was thinking. Then a hearse and limousine came rolling out of the Methodist church parking lot. There were two cars following them. It was the smallest funeral procession I ever saw. It looked pathetic. It made me wonder. Did anyone like this guy? Was the man a bum, or was he some old man that outlived all his family and friends? I would have gone, if I had known that there weren't going to be many people at this man's funeral. I had to ask myself, "Does this happen a lot?" I've seen more people than this at a prayer meeting and there were ten people there. Does the funeral really say anything about you? Maybe the man had lot's of friends and they lived out of state. The curiosity got to me I stopped to see if I could find out who this funeral was for online just a minute ago. This woman was a teacher for twenty years and had a very small family. I wonder if her friends couldn't make it. She was from Orange. It is kind of a long drive. Maybe all the friends were too old to make the trip. Anyway,it just made me wonder. I hope her friends didn't forget about her. It was still kind of a sad funeral parade. Maybe at the end of your life you just don't have many people left. In the quick sand of memory your friends forget you and you forget all your friends.

1 comment:

  1. Dave, it was good to see you briefly on Easter, sorry we didn't get a chance to chat. I'll see you again on The Drag soon.
    I'm looking over your blog and must say the writing is pretty good ! You have a keen eye for things, and a felicity of expression. Keep up the good work. You can check out my VERY Catholic blog and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete